Monday 10 June 2013

Fantasy illustration


Above is a recent trend prediction board from WGSN for AW14/15. Taking inspiration from folklore, mythology and fantasy creatures this trend is an opportunity to play around with graphics and let your imagination run wild creating characters that wouldn't be seen in everyday life. Although this is quite an advanced trend prediction I think it would be useful for me to use this theme as a personal project to get myself started on creating screen print artwork.

As research for this fantasy trend I have been looking at images on society6. Below are some of the illustrations that caught my attention. I like the idea of animals in human clothing and love the surreal look this creates.

The boxing panda, centaur with headscarf and goldfish bowl head lady are all favourites of mine.




Below are some surrealist paintings from artists including Salvador Dali and Rene Magritte. As with the above selection of images I love the female nude with a teacup for a head, this is something I would like to look into.





Rainer Taepper (below) is a perfect example of an artist who has created illustrations based on this fantasy theme his nudes with animal heads are amazing and I can see them working really well as t-shirt prints. Another idea I may have to experiment with, I'm building up quite a list here.




No comments: